Saturday, June 7, 2008

Gearing Up for Summer






This week I collected family ideas on what we all want from summer this year. In addition to swim lessons, a couple of warm-n-sunny weekend trips, and just plain outdoor fun, I want to keep our minds stimulated and thoughtful. So here are a few ideas I came up with on the developing minds of our little ones this summer, as well as the deteriorating ones of Mom & Dad:






  • We loaded up on library books. We're ready to start our local library's Summer Reading challenge.



  • I found a series of short chapter books for Carsen to have read to her, and she's already hooked. Total girly fluff, but you should see the play this inspires! http://rainbowmagiconline.com/uk/index.html



  • I started buying inexpensive, paperback non-fiction for True on the subjects he loves. If he won't read anything that doesn't have a truck in it, then by golly we are going to learn about trucks this summer!



  • I purchased this eagerly awaited book that shines light on the beautiful combination of kids & the outdoors. Taking the kids out and just meandering isn't my first nature, I usually toss it to Dad. But there are three long months ahead, so this little guide will help me out with ideas- 52 ideas, to be exact, and sorted by season! http://www.jenniferwardbooks.com/



  • Above are some daily tools like sketchbooks & workbooks, all sorts of art from the library-system art cupboard in my kitchen (Because who really wants to clean up if you have 4 different media you're working with, and one in a huge pile of glue? Especially if you're two years old.) And we always have art staples at the ready, for whenever inspiration hits, like paint brushes, scissors, and the all important masking tape. Even backpacks prepacked with a sketchbook & pencils for the outdoor inspirations.



  • What's on my nightstand? The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule, The Late Bloomers Revolution by Amy Cohen, and Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting by Myla Kabat-Zinn & John Kabat-Zinn



  • I'd post Ethan's stack, but he has a whole slew of great garage sale titles that he's about to receive for Fathers Day!



1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Oh I'm waiting on the mindful parenting book at the library. Can't wait to dig into that!